Day 25: MC-1 Part IV: Steering using a servo

The first version of the MC-1 (Monster Car 1) presented on days 20, 21, and 22 used a solenoid to steer the wheels. Unfortunately, that approach did not work at all–I think I broke the solenoid 😦 –so I decided to replace it by a servo.

The first step was remove the solenoid and the enclosing box and cut the plastic to make room for the servo.


I have made a hole in the plastic to attach the servo using a machine screw and a nut. I have attached the other side of the servo to a L-shape servo support. The support itself was fixed to the chassis using a self tapping screw because that part of the chassis was very thick.

I have made a hole in the steering bar and connected it to the servo wheel using a paper clip.


The final result is very good, as we can see in the following pictures.




This picture shows the servo in the car with the wheels on the ground.


I am not using the whole range of positions the servo provides. The pulses width are from 1000 µs to 2000 µs.